Bicycles

Print

This time I started with a blank sheet.

I really like the bicycle wheel as a visual, I decided to draw my own version on illustrator then I resized it a couple of times and made lots of copies to come up with this composition. I think it’s really successful, not too busy, not too plain.

I then moved it into photoshop to add some colour, I tried out a few of my cloud images but a single image wasn’t successful. So I selected sections from 16 different colour images with a variety of colours, labelling the layers with a similar colour so I would easily be able to find and arrange them into this grid. Initial the image wasn’t blurred but later I blurred it to give a better overall impression.

blurry clouds bkgrd

Continue reading Bicycles

Interactive Bins

These designs are the first digital realisations of a couple of my very initial ideas for this bin brief. IMG_1835

I decided to use a program called SketchUp to help me design these as the tools on Illustrator and Photoshop did not offer me the right capabilities, in terms of 3D and perspective, as well as my own skill set in these programs not being in this area of design.

SketchUp allowed me to quickly produce high quality looking designs that comprehensively showed my intentions of the design.  Continue reading Interactive Bins

Recycling Typography for CCA

ty6 ty7

First way of using text and my visuals using clipping mask. Tried to make the type quite interesting but Photoshops type tool isn’t particularly comprehensive. So the second set although visual more exciting end up being more confusing. I used the red background here because this is the colour assigned to plastic by the WRAP iconography. Best outcome of this experiment is the top right one, as the text and visual work well together here. Repetition means that the text isn’t just inserted over the top but it highlights what is going on behind in the visual. I mocked them up on a bin.

ty10ty4

I tried a different technique to makes the cans’ typography, using a mixture of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. This gave me much more control over the overall appearance, I used the same font as RecycleNow do as my starting point but played around with stroke thickness, character spacing, tracking and kerning etc. As well as rotation, scale and layout. Again I have sometimes used the colours from the WRAP iconography (the grey) as a background. The edits above are too busy but the ones below, especially in my opinion the first on the white, are visually interesting and explicit to there cause. I do not mind with these that the visual being made up from Can photography is almost lost because of the way the design has developed, because I can appreciate that as the designer knowing that that was how I got my source material when the outcome develops like this. I really like the way these turned and feel as though my next tutorial will go a lot more positively than previously due to this work as it fulfils what was discussed last week. ty5


Look Up Editing Notes

Having had to had in my video unfinished to the exhibition due to my extension, I made some notes on how I am further going to edit and develop it.

Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.
Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.
Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.
Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.
Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.
Notes on edits and additions to be made to video at interim stage.

I have been using Premiere Pro, a program I am familiar with but have never really used any of the motion and scaling tools before. I have been finding this quite challenging to place the speech bubbles in correct position at the beginning of the frame, then combine this with frame length and the end position, so that the viewer has enough time to read the lyrics whilst still keeping the visuals in time with the audio track.

To get the social media comments to appear letter by letter or word by word I took them into Illustrator after I screen-shotted them, then used this to reproduce the file, each time with a new part revealed. This was quite time consuming but relatively easy.

Messages to and from myself on iPad and Mac
Messages to and from myself on iPad and Mac

I also have been using my two apple devices to iMessage myself the lyrics which I then also screen-shotted and used Photoshop to edit out white backgrounds. For this to work successfully I had to have the font size on my iPad turn right up.

A section I struggled with was when Turk is talking about activities that are going on in the ‘real world’ I wanted the lyrics to represent this. I did not like my first attempt and wasn’t widely keen on how I did it in the final outcome. Any bits where post-it notes are featured would be the first to be re-evualted if I had more time on the project.

First attempt
First attempt
Final attempt style
Final attempt style