Having written out my own recipes for each meal I then set about following them and cooking each meal.
Before I began cooking the meals I set up the shoot space so that everything was ready to go as soon as the meals were done. I did this on advice from the BBC Good Food and the Digital Photography School websites, where they both say to act quickly when photographing food as things like meat can dry out and herbs can start to wilt (although I did not use any garnish because that does not cater to my audience). They all say it can be helpful to have oil to brush on meat or a spray bottle with water in to counteract the affects of studio lighting. I managed using the room light and carefully placed desk lamps which do not produce as much heat as professional studio lighting does so this wasn’t a measure I felt I had to take. I also took a series of test shots with empty plates to check the lighting and exposure and make sure the camera was set up appropriately.
I have decided to use a sort of Top Trumps theme for my recipe cards. I am going to use InDesign to make them, this is a new piece of software for me, so I will have to find my way around and probably watch some tutorials. I am confident though because I feel capable with Photoshop and Premiere Pro – I have also used Illustrator a bit before too.
I thought it would be a simple and interesting experiment to capture what went on in my student kitchen. I was made aware of this camera and firmware that the university photography studio have that can be set up to capture time lapse photography. I was please about this because I had previously discounted this form of photography because I myself didn’t have the technology to do it.
On Sunday night I set about ordering takeaways so that I could photograph the meals to create my comparison images. It also was an opportunity to get some information about how long it takes for a takeaway to arrive and therefore help me get an idea for my race. I took 4 of the most popular 8 takeaway cuisines on the popular ordering site Just-Eat, which advertises in prime time slots like between X-Factor on Saturdays and Sundays and ordered a meal from three different takeaways all with in a mile radius of my house. Sunday nights being one of the busiest of the week.
First to arrive was the burger and pizza ordered from MahMoods.
Having had to had in my video unfinished to the exhibition due to my extension, I made some notes on how I am further going to edit and develop it.
I have been using Premiere Pro, a program I am familiar with but have never really used any of the motion and scaling tools before. I have been finding this quite challenging to place the speech bubbles in correct position at the beginning of the frame, then combine this with frame length and the end position, so that the viewer has enough time to read the lyrics whilst still keeping the visuals in time with the audio track.
To get the social media comments to appear letter by letter or word by word I took them into Illustrator after I screen-shotted them, then used this to reproduce the file, each time with a new part revealed. This was quite time consuming but relatively easy.
I also have been using my two apple devices to iMessage myself the lyrics which I then also screen-shotted and used Photoshop to edit out white backgrounds. For this to work successfully I had to have the font size on my iPad turn right up.
A section I struggled with was when Turk is talking about activities that are going on in the ‘real world’ I wanted the lyrics to represent this. I did not like my first attempt and wasn’t widely keen on how I did it in the final outcome. Any bits where post-it notes are featured would be the first to be re-evualted if I had more time on the project.
Having struggled with what my online research was turning up. I began looking closer to home for inspiration. Recently I implemented recycling into my new student house – I was surprised at how quickly the bin filled up, even after we were recycling, both were still filled to the brim within a matter of days. Waste is the forgotten consequence of food, chosen to be unseen. The way we see waste is integral to the way society deals with it. I feel there is an element of the idea of recycling to reduce environmental impact falling on deaf ears, the movement started in the 1960s – at the same time as the universal symbol for recycling being designed by Gary Anderson – and we’re still going on about it. Our habits still need to change. There is a lot of buzz about food wastage as well at the moment. More than half the 7 million tonnes of food waste we in the UK throw away each year could have been eaten and amount of food thrown away costs the average family, with children, £60 a month.
At this stage I haven’t explored many new areas of practice, I took part in a screen printing workshop which also included Foiling and then a Cinema 4D animation workshop. Both areas I stated in my action plan.
Practices I am yet to develop on are digital printing and audio/visual technologies. With my research for task 2 going the way it is at the moment I expect to be able to continue my development of skills. I enjoyed not having to focus on the output in the screen printing workshop – because it wasn’t involved with a particular theme – however moving forward the influence of the Food and the City brief will allow for more direction and purpose when it comes to expanding my tool box of skills.
This was a very interesting workshop. I enjoy stop-motion animation, mostly with objects not illustrations. So learning about a piece of software that can create almost any 3D object and move it within a space was something I had no real knowledge about. I’m not sure how I would incorporate this software use into any work I am currently working on, but for the future it is something to be considered.
I made notes and took some videos during the workshop, unfortunately I can’t upload them too my blog.